Moving house can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, especially if you don’t have a plan and a checklist to guide you through the process. Whether you are moving locally or across the country, you need to prepare and organise everything in advance to ensure a smooth and hassle-free move.
To help you with your move, we have created the ultimate moving checklist that covers everything from start to finish. This checklist will help you keep track of all the tasks and details that you need to take care of before, during, and after your move. Follow this checklist and you will be able to enjoy your new home in no time.
Before the Move
8 weeks before the move
1. Decide on your moving date and book a reliable and professional removals company. If you are looking for a removals company in Nottingham, Newark, Grantham, or the surrounding areas, you can trust Vale Clearances to provide you with a high-quality and affordable service. We have years of experience in the removals industry and we can handle any type of move, big or small. Contact us today for a free quote and a personalised moving plan.
3. Sort out your belongings and declutter your home. Get rid of anything that you don’t need, want, or use anymore. You can sell, donate, or recycle your unwanted items and make some extra cash or help a good cause. This will also reduce the amount of stuff that you need to pack and move, which will save you time, space, and money.
4. Start collecting moving boxes and packing supplies. You can get free or cheap boxes from local shops, supermarkets, or online platforms. You can also ask your removals company if they provide packing materials and services. We at Vale Clearances offer a range of packing options to suit your needs and budget. You can choose from our full packing service, partial packing service, or self-packing service. We also provide high-quality packing materials such as boxes, tape, bubble wrap, paper, and labels.
5. Make a moving inventory and label your boxes. A moving inventory is a list of all the items that you are moving and their condition. This will help you keep track of your belongings and make sure that nothing gets lost or damaged during the move. You can also use your inventory to check if your removals company has adequate insurance coverage for your items. Labelling your boxes will help you and your movers identify what is inside each box and where it belongs in your new home. You can use a colour-coded system or write the contents and the destination room on each box.
4 weeks before the move
1. Notify your utility providers, landlord, employer, bank, insurance company, and other relevant parties of your change of address. You can also use the Royal Mail’s redirection service to forward your mail to your new address for a fee. This will ensure that you don’t miss any important bills, letters, or packages.
2. Transfer or cancel your subscriptions, memberships, and services. This includes your internet, phone, TV, streaming, gym, magazine, and club subscriptions. You can also update your online accounts and profiles with your new address and contact details.
3. Arrange for the disconnection and reconnection of your utilities at your old and new home. This includes your gas, electricity and water services. You can also compare different utility providers and look for better deals and rates for your new home.
4. Make arrangements for your children and pets on moving day. You can ask a friend, family member, or neighbour to look after them or hire a babysitter or a pet sitter. This will keep them safe and comfortable and allow you to focus on your move.
5. Start packing your non-essential items. These are the items that you don’t use on a daily or weekly basis, such as seasonal clothing, books, decorations, and collectibles. Pack them carefully and securely and label them accordingly. You can also create a box of essentials that contains the items that you will need on the first day and night in your new home, such as toiletries, towels, bedding, clothes, medication, snacks, and drinks.
2 weeks before the move
1. Confirm your moving details and arrangements with your removals company. You can also ask any questions that you have about your move and clarify any doubts or concerns. We at Vale Clearances are always happy to answer your queries and provide you with any information or advice that you need.
2. Pack your remaining items and clean your old home. You can also hire a professional cleaning service to do the job for you and save you time and energy. This is an optional extra service that Vale Clearances can provide. You can also check your inventory and make sure that everything is packed and labelled correctly. You can also take photos of your items and your home as proof of their condition before the move.
3. Prepare your appliances and furniture for the move. You can disconnect, unplug, empty, clean, and secure your appliances and furniture. You can also dismantle any large or bulky items that can be taken apart and pack them separately. You can also measure your furniture and appliances and compare them with the dimensions of your new home to make sure that they will fit through the doors and hallways.
4. Prepare your new home for your arrival. You can check if your utilities are connected and working properly. You can also clean and disinfect your new home and make any repairs or improvements that you want. You can also plan the layout and arrangement of your furniture and appliances in your new home.
On Moving Day
1 Wake up early and get ready for your move. Have breakfast and drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and energised. Ensure you have your personal items and documents that you will need during the move, such as your ID, passport, driving licence, keys, wallet, phone, charger etc.
2 Your movers arrive. At Vale Clearances we have a manager on every moving team who will introduce themselves and the team, go over the job requirements and ask for any special instructions or requests that you may have. Our team of friendly, professional, and experienced movers will treat your belongings with care and respect and ensure that everything goes smoothly and efficiently.
3 Do a final walk-through of your old home and check if everything is in order. You can also turn off the lights and appliances, lock the doors and windows, and leave the keys with your landlord or the new owner.
4 Follow or meet your movers at your new home and check if everything is delivered safely and correctly. If you notice any damage or missing items report them to your movers immediately.
5 Unpack and settle into your new home. Start by unpacking your box of essentials and setting up your bed and bathroom. You can also unpack your kitchen items and appliances and prepare a meal or order some food.
After the Move
1. Register with your local council and update your electoral roll. If required, register with your local GP and dentist and transfer your medical records and prescriptions. Remember to update your car registration and insurance and get a new driving licence.
2. Change your address and contact details with your utility providers, bank, insurance company, employer, and other relevant parties. You can also update your subscriptions, memberships, and services with your new address and contact details. .
3. Enjoy your new home and celebrate your successful move. You can also write a review and share your feedback about your moving experience and your removals company. We at Vale Clearances would love to hear from you and know how we did and why not recommend us to your friends and family who are planning to move in the future.
To get started with preparing for your move contact Vale Clearances and let us help make your move stress-free!